The Australian TSS visa is one of the programs from Australia which is one country that for a very long time has always welcomed skilled migrants.
While the country has multiple immigration programs to attract skilled workers to move to and work there, we would be focusing on the program for skilled workers in shortage occupations, the Temporary Skills Shortage(TSS) – subclass 482 Visa program.
Who is eligible
As with other visas, there are eligibility requirements for this visa and they are as follows:
- You have a qualified Australian employer with a standard business sponsorship who is willing to sponsor you
- You must meet minimum standards of English language proficiency
- You must be qualified or have sufficient experience in one of the occupations listed in the Short-Term Skilled Occupations List (STSOL), Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Regional Occupation List (ROL)
- You must have at least 2 years of experience in your chosen occupation which must have been gained within the last 5 year before the application.
- Your salary package must meet the Minimum Salary as established by the Department of Home Affairs.
- If you’re not from one of the countries with reciprocal healthcare agreements with Australia, you need to have sufficient health insurance.
- For some specific occupations, you might have to pass a skills assessment.
Eligible occupations for the Australian TSS visa
With Australia, there are three lists of eligible occupations which are the Short-term Skilled Occupations List (STSOL), Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) and the Regional Occupation List (ROL)
You can stay for up to 2 years or up to 4 years if an International Trade Obligation (ITO) applies.
Hong Kong passport holders may stay up to 5 years.
Can you bring family?
You can add your family while making your application for the TSS visa and you can also bring them at any time as long as your visa remains valid.
Family members you can include can be your spouse (husband or wife) or other partner as well as dependents under and above 18.
You would need to submit documents proving your relationship with anyone you add in your application and submit a police certificate for anyone above the age of 16.
Cost of application
Costs of applying for the Australian TSS visa vary depending on what stream you are applying through.
They are as follows for you, the main applicant and your dependants:
Costs for TSS (Short-Term stream) Visa Application
Primary Applicant: $1,290
Adult Dependent: $1,290
Child Dependent: $325
Costs for TSS (Medium-Term stream) Visa Application
Child Dependent: $675
Please note there are other costs involved for medical examination, english tests, skills assessments, police clearance certificates, translation of documents and health insurance depending on your unique circumstances.
The processing time for the Australian TSS visa can vary depending on the stream you apply through and also your unique circumstances. The average time is usually 9 – 11 months.
Documents needed for the application
As usual with all work visas, you would need to present documents to prove your identity, skills and qualifications, relationships and the like.
Some of the documents that would need to be gathered for a successful application are:
- Police/Penal Clearance certificate
- Proof of English requirements
- Your professional qualifications and relevant degrees
- Written references from former employers
- Health insurance/Proof you meet the health requirements
- Documents for any family members you are adding in your application
How to find eligible jobs
Shortage Jobs is a portal which curates and posts jobs that would give you a work visa from around the world.
Visit our portal to find the latest jobs available for the Australian TSS/482 visa and subscribe to our mailing list to get all the latest updates.